HINKLEY HISTORIC MINING CLAIMS AND GRAFFITI
Over the last five years, SRSinc has documented several historic mines in the Iron Mountain region of San Bernardino County. A Bureau of Land Management permit was obtained for these projects and a Determination of Eligibility prepared. All of these mining claims and their historic aspects were evaluated using: "Archaeology of Mining: Guidelines for Identifying, Evaluating, and Registering Historic Mining Properties", National Register Bulletin, No. 42, US Dept. of the Interior.
The Hinkley Mining Complex consists of an abandoned dolomite-mining region. Two mining claims, White Hat East and West, are the sites of historic Open-pit Mining Operations from the mid-twentieth century. Remaining historic structures/ objects include two open-pit mines and numerous foundations consisting of several machinery bases and a power generator building, and milled and un-milled support posts that were located in the tailings. Another claim, Lynx Cat Quarry is an Historic Granite Quarry that has been in and out of operation since the mid-1960s. The quarry is situated at the base of the western edge of the Lynx Cat Mountains. Modern graffiti, hearths, and trash (including shot gun shells, clay pigeons, cans, bottles, and other material used for target practice) were found and documented. The historic artifacts, especially the graffiti, provide documentation of the area residents and their preferences for activities in open-areas such as gun target practice and modern rock paintings and drawings.
LAKE ELSINORE AREA GRANODIORITE QUARRY FOR TEMECULA & SAN FRANCISCO CURBS
Four historic granite boulder quarries, a rock lined pit which may have been part of an historic arrastra (or grinding area) for processing ore, a rock structure foundation with associated spring, the foundations and approximately one remaining course of bricks originally part of a brick house, were located as part of the investigations on the North Peak Project near Lake Elsinore. It is assumed that all of these resources were linked to opportunistic granite quarrying on the subject property and associated artifacts suggest that these activities occurred during the depression era.
Geologic exposures throughout a majority of the area consist of granodiorites, as well as metasedimentary and metavolcanic rocks that were extensively utilized for the quarrying for materials distributed throughout California. Curbs in San Francisco were manufactured from the Lake Elsinore-Temecula granodiorites and match those still found on the streets of Temecula. The abundance of natural stone resources captured the imagination of the people, and field markers and historic fences, among other things were also made from this material. Evidence for this type of material mining occurs in two forms: 1] quarry debris fields and 2] individual boulders that were worked in order to determine if the material was competent. In numerous cases drill holes are still present in pieces that have been purposefully spalled off the parent rock. On the property, and presumably associated with these areas, was the foundation and a row of bricks from a brick house built from hollow bricks that were manufactured in the 1920s. In addition, an "L"-shaped rock structure was found associated with an enhanced spring. Both structures appear to have been used by individuals associated with the quarry debris fields as described in successive California Division of Mines, Bulletins [1935-#31; 1959-#146].
Return to Top